Dancing in the Mosque by Homeira Qaderi


 I was randomly looking up books based in Afghanistan as I have always been interested in the political upheaval in this country when I chanced upon this much underrated book on Goodreads. I needed a short book at that time and the blurb and the stunning cover made me pick up the book immediately.


The book is a series of letters written by Homeira Qaderi to her son, whom she has not met in years, in the hope that he will get to read them someday. Interspersed with the letters are flashbacks of her childhood in Taliban occupied Afghanistan. 


Homeira recounts how being born a girl in Afghanistan was the worst fate you could bring upon yourself. You are denied education, freedom and even the right to go outside without a male person. In short you never have an identity. You are either someone's daughter or wife or mother. What's worse than being a girl was giving birth to a girl child. She tells us the story of her neighbour who was always pregnant and lived in shame having given birth to nine daughters. 


The women in Afghanistan struggle for even the basic rights that we take for granted everyday. Under the veil of religion, the Taliban committed heinous crimes against humanity the effect of which would take generations to be undone. The new rules of the land reduced women to the status of mere objects. And yet there emerges women like Homeira who are not afraid. Who will make the choice to live a life of dignity even if it means she may never see her son again. Its women like her who give us hope of a better world-- a world where being born a woman isn't a sin.


This book paints a brutally honest picture of the Taliban rule in Afghanistan. There were times when I actually had to put down the book because I was too overwhelmed. The fact that these events are not fictional makes the experience all the more real. 


If you love reading historical fiction, I can't recommend this book enough. You have to pick this up ASAP.


PS- I actually searched her up and I am so happy to know that she has been reunited with her son. May the forces be with you @homeiraqaderi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bewilderment by Richard Powers

Women, Dreaming by Salma