The Stationery shop of Tehran by Marjan Kamali
When I first read the blurb I knew I had to get myself this book. I have always had a thing for romances in the backdrop of a war since I read Atonement and this book ticked off all the boxes.
Roya meets Bahman in a little stationery shop in Tehran and fall in love Bollywood style. Their romance was not unlike those of high school children who exchange poetry, steal glances and exchange letters through books. Their courtship was proceeding smoothly and they got engaged in a few months. By this time my sadist mind was already cooking up situations which would seperate them and yes I am not disappointed. Bahman's mother disapproved of the match and had already fixed his marriage with someone else (yeah I know, Bollywood again). The marriage didn't fall through eventually and as the political situation in Iran worsened, Roya and her sister decided to emigrate to America in the hope of a better future.
The book doesn't offer any surprises. I pretty much guessed the ending when I was halfway through. And yet there is something about this genre that I cannot get enough of. In spite of being cliched, I liked how sensitively the author has handled Roya. The heartbreak actually made her stronger, taught her to be more sensible and forced her to be independent. Yet when she came across a stationery shop in England, all the walls she had built around herself over the years crumbled. Again she was the seventeen year old Roya-- vulnerable, impulsive who wore her heart on her sleeve.
Bahman's mother's story was my favourite part of the book. Even though I hated her scheming mind, a part of me couldn't help but sympathise with her. Someone who has been through what she did, would undoubtedly have different ideas about love and marriage.
Did this book entertain me? Yes. Did I love this book? Sort of.
Will I recommend this book? Yes but only if war fiction is your comfort genre because this book has nothing new to offer.

Comments
Post a Comment